Observation of Protocols: The Deputy Governor Kisumu County, Vihiga County The CEO Lake Region Economic...0
The Lake Basin Innovation and Investment Week 2019 is the first of its kind in the lake region of Kenya brought in focus to the region, which Kisumu Governor terms a sleeping giant.
It’s a giant because the region is made up of almost a quarter of the population of the country, and also comprises a very huge number of highly skilled young professionals with diverse cultures.
The region, and Kisumu to be specific which was the host to this inaugural event, is also very strategically located within the great lakes region and has the biggest transport infrastructure that can be optimized for use in connecting the region, either through rail, air, water or road. The maritime potential itself is huge for the region and provides the necessary transport avenue o serve all the East and even the Central African region countries.
The road networking notwithstanding is just but one of the greatest offers the region has. Talk of tourism and culture, it’s as diverse as the eyes can see. From the UNESCO World Heritage Site that is Thim Lich Ohinga in Migori County to the Kericho Tealands, Jeblok Gorge in Nandi County and even the Lake Victoria waters connecting 5 of the counties in the regional bloc, it’s potential itself hasn’t been fully utilized.
The future investment portfolio for the region is therefore very much open, and the huge tracts of virgin and empty lands can be effectively used both for irrigated agriculture, manufacturing industries and even sports and recreation services development.
The climate itself is very warm and inviting and favours multi-pronged investment ventures.
The 2019 event also brought in partners from far and wide, including UKAid through the British High Commission, Siemens Foundation, Kibos Sugar and Allied Industries Limited, iGovAfrica, among many other partners and supporters.
Some of the events held during the innovation week were:
- AGRIBUSINESS SMES ROUNDTABLE – Host: GiZ
- SME FINANCING IN AGRIBUSINESS AND CLEAN ENERGY – Host: KIMS/Palladium/KCB
- YOUTH EMPLOYABILITY WORKSHOP – Host: LBIIW
- PRE-NETWORKING COCKTAIL – Host: Safaricom/LBIIW
- ROUNDTABLE WITH THE LOCAL HUBS – Host: British High Commission
- Venue: Acacia Premier Hotel
- SPEED DATING – Host: LBIIW
- BUSINESS LEGENDS – Host: British High Commission
- CEO’S DINNER – Host: LBIIW
- E-MOBILITY ROUNDTABLE – Host: Siemens Stiftung
- CATALYTIC JOBS FUND INFO SESSION – Host: Department for International Development, DFID
- NETWORKING COCKTAIL – Host: Siemens Foundation
- HACK4LAKE BASIN – Host: LBIIW
- POLICY HACKATHON – Host: GiZ
- FABLAB KIDS HACKATHON – Host: LBIIW
- PITCHING AND NETWORKING COCKTAIL – Host: LBIIW
- FIELD TRIPS/VISITS – Host: LBIIW
- LAKE BASIN BUSINESS LEADERS AWARDS GALA – Host: LBIIW
- LASTLY – Exhibition tents and stalls lined along the Jomo Kenyatta Highway during the course of the week.
The general view from the participants is that these and many more of these discussions and exhibitions in and around the region to showcase potential investment vehicles at the same time marshall for joint approaches to make innovation and investment possible for the general development of the Lake Basin region.
See you all in The Lake Basin Innovation and Investment Week 2020.
Download The 2019 Report
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020