- This event has passed.
Lake Basin Innovation and Investments Week – The Next Frontier EconomyKisumu City
Kisumu County, Western Kenya 40100 Kenya
November 18, 2019 - November 22, 2019KShs2,000
THEME: Promoting Innovation for Sustainable Development of the Lake Basin Region.
LBIIW is an annual entrepreneurship and innovation gathering that convenes entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, policymakers, government, development agencies, and other ecosystem support players; to spur the economic growth of the Lake Basin Region, through innovative business models in digitization, SME financing, and local manufacturing. The future of trade in Africa’s emerging urban cities is dependent on the aforementioned, and an integrated and collaborative approach with all relevant stakeholders. The existing Lake Region economic bloc blueprint presents the socio-economic opportunities of all the 14 counties of the Region that can be harnessed to shape the region’s economic destiny. LBIIW, therefore, seeks to provide a platform to advance a call for convergence in strategic partnerships for sustainable development.
The Innovation Week entails five days of learning and networking, workshops, hackathons, pitching, and deal-making. During the week, innovators and entrepreneurs will showcase their ideas, build partnerships, secure funding, and find their target customers while creating new products that will transform societies and solve certain pressing social challenges.
About the Conveners
- Winam Capital: Winam Capital is an entrepreneurship ecosystem enabler with offices in Kisumu, Kenya working towards growing successful enterprises in the Lake Victoria Region, Kenya; through business acceleration, strategic advice and access to investment capital. Our mission is to work with investors, exceptional entrepreneurs and strategic partners in the Lake Region to design and execute innovative business models that can profitably serve East Africa’s aspiring mass market. Our focus is on the Lake Victoria region economic bloc spanning 14 counties which represent over one-third of Kenya’s population.
- Fablab Winam: Winam Fablab offers a hub for sharing ideas, tools and other resources by makers, Artisans (Jua Kali), professionals, educators, students, entrepreneurs, learning institutions, hobbyists, kids, etc. It taps into gaps between classroom-learned skills and market needs experiences to build products that address challenges and emphasizes on local manufacturing using emerging tech-based trends like IoT. Based in Western Kenya region in Kisumu where there are just a few industries, the Fablab Winam will be keen on using people-centered design approaches for socio-economic challenges and incubation.
- LakeHub: LakeHub is a technology and social innovation hub based in Kisumu, Kenya with the aim of decentralizing access to technology, growing entrepreneurship, and social innovation.
About the Ecosystem
The entrepreneurship ecosystem and innovation space in the Lake region are nascent with little support to innovators and entrepreneurs. The meaningful impact is yet to be witnessed especially in incubation, funding, value chain development and enhancement of healthy competition. It is this gap that Lakehub, Winam Capital and Fablab are striving to fill by providing a platform where innovators, entrepreneurs, investors, and various stakeholders meet with the aim of supporting the growth and development of the ecosystem.
- To provide opportunities for entrepreneurs and innovators to exhibit and pitch their ideas to potential investors to raise capital
- To map out the region’s entrepreneurial ecosystem to identify the gaps inhibiting SME development and innovation in the region
- To foster collaboration between the county governments and the private sector to enhance trade in the region.
- Consolidate Efforts and Networks of supporting startups/SMEs and Innovators in the Lake Region of Kenya.
Register Here Below to attend the events planned